Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean for Operations, Assessment, and Communications, the Makerspace Coordinator is responsible for support of maker services at Steely Library—a new service space focused on 3D technologies, like 3D printers, 3D scanners, and laser cutters. The Makerspace Coordinator will envision services, implement use and safety procedures, and help to expand the offered technologies as partnerships emerge with campus departments. The Coordinator will perform daily administration of Stego Studio operations; work directly with faculty and students to actualize projects, facilitate outreach activities in order to generate research and educational partnerships; and maintain an active roster of programs and activities in the lab.
Primary Responsibilities :
Makerspace Operations: ● Responsible for oversight of a full range of services to patrons, including consultation on makerspace services, technologies, and partnerships.
● Provides operational support for the 3D printing service, 3D scanning service, and laser cutting service.
● Proactively seeks out and develops opportunities for partnerships with staff, students, faculty, academic units on campus, area PK-12 schools, and the Northern Kentucky region.
● Oversees a robust program of educational activities by coordinating the efforts of student employees, student clubs, and other Stego Studio partners.
● Collaborates closely with the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship staff to support efforts to foster entrepreneurship and innovation.
● Organizes special events, including Maker Week, hackathons, etc.
● Develops makerspace budgets in partnership with supervisor.
● Supports and coordinates Stego Studio tour and orientation requests.
● Ensures that the Stego Studio is an inclusive, welcoming, and interdisciplinary space.
● Uses knowledge of different types of makerspace technologies to fulfill faculty and student research needs.
● Maintains equipment inventory, and suggests new equipment purchases to meet user needs.
● Troubleshoots equipment and works to identify an appropriate resolution.
● Handles financial transactions.
Student Supervisor: ● Responsible for hiring, training, scheduling, and evaluating 4-5 Stego Studio student employees, including those who specialize in maker technologies and methods.
● Trains student employees in use of Stego Studio equipment, including: 3D scanners and printers, a high-end laser cutter, electronics and circuits, sewing machines, and virtual reality technologies.
Administration: ● Documents and regularly reviews Stego Studio policies, training materials, and reservation tools, to ensure that they are up to date.
● Ensures that makerspace statistics are tracked, analyzed, and used to aid in continuous improvement of maker services.
● Maintains knowledge of current industry trends and performs continuous assessment of innovative methodologies, technologies and approaches. Identifies opportunities for improvement and communicates them to Library leadership.
- Bachelor's degree with 1 year related work experience – Experience using 3D technologies, including printers, scanners, and laser cutters – Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
NKU is a growing metropolitan university of more than 14,000 students served by more than 2,000 faculty and staff on a thriving suburban campus near Cincinnati.
Located in the quiet suburb of Highland Heights, Kentucky—just seven miles southeast of Cincinnati—we have become a leader in Greater Cincinnati and Kentucky by providing a private school education for a fraction of the cost.
While we are one of the fastest growing universities in Kentucky, our professors still know our students' names.
Please log in or sign up
To continue, please log in or sign up with a user account. For organizations, please use your personal credentials with your organization. For newly added organizations, this will become the primary contact.